28 May 2009

The Love of God

Could we with the ink the ocean fill
And were the skies
of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry,
Nor could the scroll
contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky.


The apostle, Paul, prayed that believers might "be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height - to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge" (Ephesians 3:18-19). "Width" refers to its worldwide embrace; "length," its existence through all ages; "depth," its profound wisdom; and "height," its victory over sin opening the way to heaven.

When I came across the lyrics of this song, I realized that God's love is so great and sufficient that everything else on earth is insufficient to express it. We are all admonished to appreciate this amazing love. Yet as I expand my awareness of God's love, I soon realize that its full measure is beyond our understanding. Even if the ocean were filled with ink, using it to write about the love of God would drain it dry.

God's love cannot be explained - it can only be experienced.



I am just so filled with joy in my heart today. =)

0 potatoes speak: